Re: Database Replication Theory

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_erols.com>
Date: 2000/01/22

Steven Harris wrote:

> Has anyone looked into replication?
>
> What I want to do, is to add the necessary code to my current application
> which uses .dbf files.
>
> I presume I need to track each record's timestamp and userkey, and have
> some unique primary key generator for any new records that are added.
> Perhaps the CLSID algorithm could be used? I guess I also need to add
> fields which track when the last synchronisation was performed, so the
> program knows which records need to be resolved.
>
> I am guessing there are lots of other issues involved, and I just wondered
> if anyone has looked into it before I spend time on it.
>
> Thanks.

You should look at what Oracle, Informix, DB2, and Sybase are doing in this area. Oracle, for instance, has a very sophisticated replication scheme that is described in their documentation.

Unless you plan on writing your own database engine from the ground up I suspect you would be better off switching to a commercial product that already supports replication.

--
Jerry Gitomer
Once I learned how to spell DBA, I became one.