Re: database normalization

From: corey lawson <corey.lawson_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: 2000/01/02

I don't know for sure, but I think InfoModeler has been rolled into Visio 5 Enterprise. One of the things that InfoModeler lets you do is refresh and manipulate database schema from within it. Visio 5 Pro will only take a "snapshot" of a DB schema for you. Any changes you make to its database diagramming objects for table attributes don't get pushed back to the DB, but allegedly InfoModeler/V5E will do this...

I think other tools, like ERWin, Oracle Designer/2000, etc. do this, too (but none of them are all that cheap...), nor is Visio 5 Enterprise...

Laugh if you need to, but Microsoft Access is probably not a bad tool, imho, to play with database normalization. It even has a "wizard" to help you, and the "Building Applications with Access" book (either on the CD or in print) has an OK tutorial on it, as do many other SQL-related books. At least Access lets you slice and dice without having to drop and recreate...

Hey, Joe, do you have any other books in the pipeline?

-Corey Lawson
 corey.lawson_at_worldnet.att.com