Re: Installing Oracle 11.5.8 on Mandrake

From: Shawn Hirn <srhi_at_comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2006 17:32:35 -0400

In article <3EF75784.9040004_at_netscape.net>,  Frank <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net> wrote:

> Dave Williams wrote:
> > Frank,
> >
> > Don't you like a challenge then ? Besides, Mandrake is now the most popular
> > flavour of Linux.
>
> I won't go into that discussion
>

> > Also, installation instructions were followed and kernel settings changed
> > :-)
>
> OK - I was just shring some knowledge that might help you
> >
> > As a further FYI, I figured out a way to work around this issue.
>
> Care to share?
>
> <snip!>

I am stumped. I am a very very new Oracle user. A colleague put the Oracle 10g client on my workstation (Windows XP) this afternoon. I was able to start the client and access a remote database that was created as a test bed for me. I was able to create a simple table with four columns. Now, I have a text file, delimited by semicolons, that I want to import into the table that I created via SQL*Plus, but figuring out how to do that seems to be a real challenge.

I have been googling for a solution to this problem, but all I find is something about an SQL Loader, which I cannot find on my PC. I do not have discs to load it, all I have is what was loaded on my PC.

Isn't there a way to use the insert statement from within SQL*Plus that does something along the lines of

insert into table x from file y delimited by ';' (field1, field2, field3, field4);

?

I don't care about insert performance. This table was built without any constraints or indexes. Its just two varchar2(20) columns and two number columns, so its about as simple as one can get.

Do I really need a separate utility to do this task, or is there some way to do it entirely within SQL*Plus via insert or some other command? Also, how do I use the help feature in SQL*Plus? If I type "help insert" it says invalid topic and if I type "help" it says I can get help on a topic? How exactly does this help feature work? Its not very helpful! Received on Thu Aug 03 2006 - 23:32:35 CEST

Original text of this message