Data provider for Oracle and SQL 2005 on 64bit windows.

From: David Gray <police_at_spamcop.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2006 12:02:39 +0100

Hello all,

Windows Server 2003 (Enterprise)
AMD64 (Opeteron)
SQL 2005
Oracle 9i

Please help. We are running SQL Server 2005 64bit on an Windows 2003 Server Machine using AMD Opteron Processors. We are trying to setup linked servers to some Oracle 9i Databases on 32bit servers. We need to install ODBC/OLEDB providers for Oracle to achieve this. we are having difficulty finding out a few things :

i. How to install Microsoft OLEDB for Oracle - we have MDAC 2.8 installed, but still there is no provider. The question is what is the correct OLEDB provider and how do we get it and is there such a thing as 64bit MDAC ?

ii. All literature suggests that 64bit version of these products are only available on Itanium 2 or higher processors. Is there any way to utilise these technologies on 64 bit Opteron.

Your help would be much appreciated as we are at our wits end for what is turning out to be quite an expensive project (we are hiring the 64bit server).

We currently have Linked servers configured on Win2003 (32bit) server and SQL 2000. These use "Microsoft OLEDB Provider for Oracle". Is this provider available for AMD64 architecture and if so where can we get it?

Thanks in advance.
Dave Received on Thu Aug 03 2006 - 13:02:39 CEST

Original text of this message