Re: Alternatives to SQL *Plus

From: Mark C. Stock <mcstockX_at_Xenquery>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 08:45:46 -0500

"Enoch" <Enoch_at_theFort.org> wrote in message news:2cqdnad6bJR9cI7fRVnyig_at_giganews.com...
> Ant wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have an SQL assignment to do and at my school we use SQL *Plus there
>> however I don't have Oracle at home, where I would like to do the work
>> ,so I
>> was wondering whats the easiest way to get an SQL environment up so I can
>> code in that then just paste it into SQL *Plus later.
>>
>> I don't really want to install Oracle on my home pc and I was wondering
>> if
>> there are other IDE's for SQl that would fit my need for this.
>>
>> I discovered an instant SQL *Plus client that sounded really promising
>> but
>> when i unpacked it, it was just a load of dll's so I think it wasn't what
>> thought it was.
>>
>> So does anyone know of anything that might be able to help me out here?
>>
>> Any advice much appreciated!
>>
>> Thanks
>> --
>> Ant
> It sounds like you only downloaded the initial 30meg basic package, you
> *also* need to download the additional SQL*Plus zip file, which is tiny,
> less then a meg.
>
> http://www.databasejournal.com/features/oracle/article.php/3371561
>
> For how to set it up, you'll need to create a tnsnames.ora file, just
> search the oracle directory at your school for the file and copy that one
> if you can't create your own. The URL given has details of how to connect
> by IP too.
>
> Also your uni could quite well have the web based isql*Plus form/app
> installed.
> I think the default location would be along the lines of:
> http://oracleName.yourUni.tld:4443/isqlplus
> but I'm sure they can tell you.
>
> Enoch.

you can request an HTMLDB account from Oracle http://htmldb.oracle.com

 this will include SQL Workshop which has a SQL Command Processor, so you can
 try out just about any SQL statement you like (but not SQL*Plus commands)

 ++ mcs Received on Thu Feb 17 2005 - 14:45:46 CET

Original text of this message