Re: Comparison of DB2 and Oracle?

From: Serge Rielau <srielau_at_ca.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 11:18:23 -0400

Argh.... I finally break radio silence here....

Yukonkid wrote:
> For DB2 you find different databases for quite every platform (OS 390,
> UNIX, AIX, mainframe...) - name it. For every problem they have a
> database - incompatible between each other...
OS390 < mainframe
AIX < Unix..
do you know what you are talking about?

There are three code bases:
DB2 for Linux, Unix, Windows
DB2 for z/OS
DB2 for AS/400

Oracle does not exist on AS/400 (through no fault of it's own...) Oracle does virtually not exist on z/OS (low single digit market share, could it be a separate codebase is required to be successful? ;-))

So if you want to deploy on i/Series or z/Series you look at DB2 and ONLY DB2. No Oracle in the game.

If you want to deploy _anywhere_else_ DB2 competes with exactly _one_ codebase:
DB2 for Linux, Unix, Windows

Cheers
Serge Received on Tue Oct 26 2004 - 17:18:23 CEST

Original text of this message