Re: Comparison of DB2 and Oracle?

From: Yukonkid <info_at_Boecker-OCP.com>
Date: 26 Oct 2004 07:17:17 -0700

"Rhino" <rhino1_at_NOSPAM.sympatico.ca> wrote in message news:<33xcd.373$JG5.58933_at_news20.bellglobal.com>...
> One of my friends, Scott, is a consultant who doesn't currently have
> newsgroup access so I am asking these questions for him. I'll be telling him
> how to monitor the answers via Google Newsgroup searches.
>
> Scott has heard a lot of hype about DB2 and Oracle and is trying to
> understand the pros and cons of each product. I'm quite familiar with DB2
> but have never used Oracle so I can't make any meaningful comparisons for
> him. He does not have a lot of database background but sometimes has to
> choose or recommend a database to his clients.
>
> Scott has enough life-experience to take the marketing information produced
> by IBM and Oracle with a grain of salt and would like to hear from real
> DBAs, especially ones who are fluent with both products, for their views on
> two questions:
>
> 1. What are the pros and cons of the current releases of DB2 and Oracle?
>
> 2. What other sources of *independent* information are available to help
> someone new to databases choose between DB2 and Oracle?
>
> This is *not* a troll and we don't want to start a flame war! Scott just
> want some honest facts to help him decide which product is best at which
> jobs.

Hi,

without going into much religious talking, ask yourself:

How many OS versions of DB2 are on the market? How many OS versions of Oracle?

For DB2 you find different databases for quite every platform (OS 390, UNIX, AIX, mainframe...) - name it. For every problem they have a database - incompatible between each other... In Oracle you deal with the same architecture on every OS platform they support.

Some of the things I like in Oracle

  • a lot of features to select from (Oracles index types i.e.)
  • the shared sql approach
  • multi-versioning and read consistency implementation (SELECT without being blocked by writes i.e.)

yk

at least, all databases return the data that you store, Received on Tue Oct 26 2004 - 16:17:17 CEST

Original text of this message