Re: Comparison of DB2 and Oracle?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 17:54:51 -0700

michael newport wrote:
> http://tpc.org/information/other/articles/TopTen.asp
>
> The performance of databases is one issue, pricing is another. (Ingres
> is FREE)
>
> TPC results should not be used as a substitute for benchmarking of
> one's own application if performance is a critical decision criteria
>

> Michael

And MySQL is the same price and far better with respect to performance, scalability, and job potential.

Today, October 25th at http://www.dice.com

Oracle         7,926 jobs
Access         7,198 jobs
DB2            1,785 jobs
Sybase         1,389 jobs
COBOL            914 jobs
Informix         272 jobs
MySQL            247 jobs
FoxPro            58 jobs
PostgreSQL        31 jobs
Ingres            18 jobs
Paradox           10 jobs
dBASE             10 jobs
Advanced Rev.      3 jobs

So there you go ... a product so valuable that in the entire U.S. there are almost twice as many jobs available as for those whose expertise is in dBASE. Less than 2% of the job market of COBOL. And fewer jobs offerings than the other "free" products. Where can I sign up?

Even when it is free Ingres isn't worth anything.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington