Re: Comparison of DB2 and Oracle?

From: michael newport <michaelnewport_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 25 Oct 2004 03:49:26 -0700

> SNAP OUT OF IT MAN - seems you fell into a trance 10 years ago. Life has
> moved forward, and so have the RDBMS capabilities.

Which is why someone at CA (finally) made Ingres OpenSource. An ex-Oracle person if my info. is correct. How many more RDBMS capabilities do you need to do your job ?

> You seem to have come to a conclusion some time ago and are possibly now
> living a life of myths and workarounds. Programmers living in the age of
> mythology cost more to projects than products do!

I am now (1 year) working with Oracle and my work involves doing the same stuff that I did with Ingres (see previous post).

So why buy Oracle when Ingres is free.

> > It is free.
>
> Yes, the software is free. (But not GPL ... makes one wonder why!) The
> software is also somewhat hidden - http://www.ingres.com is marketing only.
> you need to go http://opensource.ca.com
>

> > You get more bang for your buck with Ingres.
> >

> Sadly it's behind the times. The price is right for it's capabilties, but
> the cost of compensating for this older technology can be enormous. Even
> CA as much as admitted that they couldn't make money on it without a major
> overhaul when they made it FOSS. Coming from CA, that's heavy!

Behind the times means what exactly ?
What compensation costs are you talking about exactly ?

The cost of buying Oracle IS enormous.
Ingres is FREE, and v3 is just being released.

> Commonly required capabilities like ROLLUP and GROUP BY GROUPING SETS, CUBE
> and common-table-expressions (aka WITH clause) make a huge difference -
> unless one prefers to spend money in development and maintenance.

development and maintenance costs are human factors.

> -------
>
> FWIW, anyone wishing to compare SQL capabilities from a developer's point of
> view might want to look at the relevant SQL language docco for each (listed
> alphabetically):
>
> DB2:
> http://www-306.ibm.com/software/data/db2/udb/support/manualsv8.html
>
> Ingres:
> http://opensource.ca.com/projects/ingres/documents
>
> Oracle 9iR2:
> http://www.oracle.com/pls/db92/db92.docindex?remark=homepage
>
> --------
>
> Now can we get back to the basic DB2 vs Oracle discussion?

doubtful. Received on Mon Oct 25 2004 - 12:49:26 CEST

Original text of this message