Re: Comparison of DB2 and Oracle?

From: Larry E <larry_at_nospam.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 14:32:22 GMT

Rhino,

Frankly, if your friend Scott is a person who doesn't have a db background, he is not going to be able to understand any technical differentiators that are brought forth here (and their significance).

Secondly, when you post and ask such questions here ... all you are going to get are people's opinions ... some very biased opinions. This stuff is almost religious to some people. The best thing that Scott can do is to:

  • fully understand his customer's requirements from a business and technology perspective
  • tap into someone like Gartner, Mega, Giga for independent opinions on each dbms
  • search the tech media for any reviews of each product
  • call upon his local Oracle and IBM reps to bring whatever they can to the table

By the time he gets done here, his head is going to be spinning and he will be asking "so who is right and who do I listen to?"

Larry Edelstein