Re: Comparison of DB2 and Oracle?

From: Rhino <rhino1_at_NOSPAM.sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 11:24:42 -0400

"Larry E" <larry_at_nospam.net> wrote in message news:WtQcd.4328$YM4.1347973_at_news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net...
> Rhino,
>
> Frankly, if your friend Scott is a person who doesn't have a db
> background, he is not going to be able to understand any technical
> differentiators that are brought forth here (and their significance).

Excellent point. I was expecting to help him a bit with that part of his search.

> Secondly, when you post and ask such questions here ... all you are
> going to get are people's opinions ... some very biased opinions.

That's why I was hoping to hear from people who had used both Oracle and DB2 but weren't employees (or resellers) of either of them. The marketing information by the vendor always tends to be skewed in some way that is favourable to the vendor but not necessarily a fair way.

> This
> stuff is almost religious to some people.

That's why I mentioned that I was not trying to start a flame war. Still, I was quite prepared to ignore obvious zealotry on behalf of one product or the other.

> The best thing that Scott can
> do is to:
>
> - fully understand his customer's requirements from a business and
> technology perspective
> - tap into someone like Gartner, Mega, Giga for independent opinions on
> each dbms

There you go; you've just answered Question 2 in my original post. I'm familiar with Gartner and can probably find a website for them but I'm not familiar with Mega or Giga at all. Can you suggest some URLs or at least tell me the full names of these companies so that I can start searching? A Google search on "Mega" is going to give me a gazillion hits ;-)

> - search the tech media for any reviews of each product

Who would you consider the most reputable of the tech media with respect to this sort of question, database comparisons?

> - call upon his local Oracle and IBM reps to bring whatever they can to
> the table

Absolutely; I had every intention of suggesting that to him but only AFTER he had done his research FIRST.

> By the time he gets done here, his head is going to be spinning and he
> will be asking "so who is right and who do I listen to?"

Yeah, I know, that's how it always seems to go with these things. No matter how dilligently you look at the options, there is always a load of bias and hype to weed through before you get to something that appears to be objective truth.

Rhino