Re: Data not importing correctly

From: Andrew Lowe <agl_at_wht.KILLSPAM.com.au>
Date: 04 Oct 2004 04:39:31 GMT

Hans Forbrich <news.hans_at_telus.net> wrote in news:IcW7d.9495$N%.815_at_edtnps84:

> When you say 'Oracle Back End' .... does the application use Oracle's
> Spatial option or Oracle Locator functionality? (Locator is a subset
> of Spatial used to store adn retrieve GIS coordinate maps.) Or does
> it use a customized method of storing the data. (IOW, what is the
> data type of the column that's giving the problem - try givng us a
> 'DESCRIBE' on the table.)

            It's not a GIS app, it actually deals with train timetabling. It just uses "plain" Oracle. The describe is as follows, the column in question, NODE_MODE:

----------------------------------------- -------- -------------
ARRIVAL_TIME                              NOT NULL NUMBER(6)
ADJUSTED_ARRIVAL_TIME                              NUMBER(5)
ADJUSTED_DEPARTURE_TIME                            NUMBER(5)
ADJUSTED_RECOVERY_TIME                             NUMBER(5)
MASTER_NODE                               NOT NULL NUMBER
CURRENT_NODE                                       NUMBER
DEPARTURE_TIME                            NOT NULL NUMBER(6)
TSN_REF                                            NUMBER
NODE_MODE                                 NOT NULL CHAR(1)
ARRIVAL_SYMBOL                            NOT NULL CHAR(1)
DEPARTURE_SYMBOL                          NOT NULL CHAR(1)
RECOVERY_TIME                             NOT NULL NUMBER(5)
NODE_NAME                                 NOT NULL CHAR(4)
TME_ID                                    NOT NULL NUMBER(8)
THR_ID                                    NOT NULL NUMBER(8)

> Versions of Oracle, and version of operating system, would be useful.

            Oracle is 9i, Release 9.2.0.1.0 running on Win2000

> Finally, you extracted the data - seemingly using Toad. You
> apparently did not use Oracle's export/import tools. Any specific
> reason?

            As I said I'm new to the Oracle world. I hav TOAD on both the clients machine and my own and it makes life a lot easier for me, eg SQL Plus Vs TOAD. When I was at my clients office, my concern was that their setup of Oracle 9i running on Solaris, ie 64 bit on a SPARC CPU, would cause binary problems when trying to load data into my setup, 9i on Win2000, ie 32bit on Intel, hence the "text way".

            Any help that you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

                        Andrew Lowe Received on Mon Oct 04 2004 - 06:39:31 CEST

Original text of this message