Data not importing correctly

From: Andrew Lowe <agl_at_wht.KILLSPAM.com.au>
Date: 03 Oct 2004 16:46:14 GMT

Hi all,

            First off, I'm new to the Oracle world so please be gentle on me. Now down to the problem at hand. I support a CAD application that has an Oracle backend. I've been on site at my clients offices and got a dump of data, via TOAD, to bring back to my office. This has given me a file containing a large number of insert statements of the format:

Insert into tgds.trip_bodies

(ARRIVAL_TIME, ADJUSTED_ARRIVAL_TIME, ADJUSTED_DEPARTURE_TIME,
ADJUSTED_RECOVERY_TIME, MASTER_NODE, CURRENT_NODE, DEPARTURE_TIME, TSN_REF, NODE_MODE, ARRIVAL_SYMBOL, DEPARTURE_SYMBOL, RECOVERY_TIME, NODE_NAME,
TME_ID, THR_ID)
 Values
(10419, NULL, NULL, NULL, 107868,

    108381, 10419, 102745, '', ' ',
    ' ', 0, 'CMPG', 1218, 2550470,
   );

            My problem is the 9th entry, NODE_MODE which comes across as a square box between quotes. In the db schema, this is defined as "char(1)" and for some reason, the data in the clients NODE_MODE column is made up of the NON-printable values, the ones below 32, from the ASCII table, hence the box within quotes. If I look at one of these insert statements in a programmers editor, I get values such as '^C', '^K', all values that give the square box. I have now loaded this data, using the insert statements, into Oracle via TOAD. My problem is that the data comes across as a dot ie a period. If I re-export this data, instead of the '^C' & '^K', I now get '.'. Is there a way that I can import this data into my instance of Oracle and get these values to come across correctly?

            Any thoughts on this are greatly appreciated.

                        Andrew Lowe Received on Sun Oct 03 2004 - 18:46:14 CEST

Original text of this message