database structure problem - advice please?

From: Johnson <johnson_at_spam.troll>
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2004 05:08:49 GMT

Here's what I was doing, it is obviously stupid because i have exceeded the "too many fields defined error"

I have to create a database driven application that allows students to update the records of which classes they took, what grade they received, and what semester they took the class in.

I was using one database table, with some unique identifiers for each student. Then for each of the 50 classes they have to take, I had 4 fields each, one for whether they took it or not, one for the semester, one for the year, one for the grade they received.

So all in all I had 4x50 fields for the classes and then the various unique identifiers.

I just can't fathom how to simplify this problem. Anybody got any ideas? Received on Mon Sep 06 2004 - 07:08:49 CEST

Original text of this message