Re: Oracle database creation

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 03:19:59 GMT

oracle wrote:

> I go there but did not find any .doc
> I want to manually create the new database
> without using Database Configuration Assistant.

Sorry - misunderstood the question.

Go to the 'SQL Reference' manual in the http:/docs.oracle.com document archives and look for the 'CREATE DATABASE' command.

It's a relatively complicated command which requires understanding of system, temporary, rollback/undo, and data tablespaces, block sizes (and related SGA impacts), as well as a number of other issues.

There are simply too many variations to give you any advice over the newsgroup without detailed understanding of your needs. Which explains why Oracle makes the DBCA available.

Note that most people who ask this question are using the SQL Server/Sybase definition of 'Database'. Oracle's equivalent is 'SCHEMA'. Please verify (at least for yourself) that you really need a new database and not just a new schema. Received on Mon Jul 12 2004 - 05:19:59 CEST

Original text of this message