poor performance because of slow storage

From: Markus Breuer <markus.breuer_at_gmx.de>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 14:34:32 +0200

I currently have some trouble because of a misconfigured storage. The technicans are involved, but the reconfiguration will requires several days.

The main problem is a small table acting as dictionary. while column 1 is the key, a query will delivery the value of column 2. The select is not critical, but the frequently changes to the table. Insert and delete operations cause many i/o traffic on our storage.

Our reading applications use following sql-statement to perform a lookup:

SELECT col2
FROM my_table
WHERE col1='...'

Is there any chance to tune this table without the need to change the reading apps? I think of a table in memory, which does not force i/o traffic on the storage. Lost data after a crash is no important, this table only holds current data. In half an hour the data is old.

Any ideas?

regards, markus Received on Wed Jun 30 2004 - 14:34:32 CEST

Original text of this message