Re: Comments on InterSystems Cache Database Platform

From: Wolf Koelling <wolf.koelling_at_slaughterandmay.com>
Date: 23 Jun 2004 06:15:03 -0700

As you clearly had bad experiences with Caché I can hardly argue you out of that. All I'd ask is whether you are sure that the problems were due to Caché or was it the application that was badly written?

I do need to take issue with one of your statements, however, namely that Caché has "a VERY high overhead for maintenance and administration". This couldn't be further from the truth. Caché requires next to no maintenance at all. As an example I can tell you the setup of our company. We have a 24x7 mission-critical Caché server with 250 to 300 concurrent users (incl. background processes) during standard business hours. It has several databases for different purposes / user groups and is networked to two off-site application servers which use the live database. For resilience the live server has a Shadow and a Disaster Recovery server connected to it which replicate all database activities. We also have a development server and a Change Management server. One of my tasks at the company is the role of the DBA which occupies no more than 10% of my time, mostly setting up and removing development areas and refreshing the data in test areas. If you want to call that high maintenance then please give me an idea of what constitutes low maintenance.

Best

Wolf Koelling