Re: Comments on InterSystems Cache Database Platform

From: IT Man <americatch_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 22 Jun 2004 11:55:16 -0700

Hi Sam,

Cache is really heavy in the Medical field. I worked for a Medical Lab that was running it on several fronts, and to say the least it was unreliable and had a VERY high overhead for maintenance and administration. As it stands now it does not follow very many "standards" in the industry so some things don't work as well. Support is another issue. You may call support and get someone on the line that doesn't understand their own product as well as waiting for weeks to get a response to any issues you may have. The bad thing about it is that the initial setup was setup by "Cache" consultants and they company was still having all these issues.

If you have no knowledge of Cache, then the road will be long. If you have a choice I would definately do a side by side comparison of other offerings (Oracle, MS SQL, MySQL and even Filemaker Pro) before committing to Cache.

I am currently working on a Cache roll out for a large firm that is doing a 180 day eval and so far not one piece of completed code has been put into testing. In a way Cache is a road block unto itself.

Don't get me wrong, if the product was that good, then I would think other companies would be trying to re-develop or "copy" some of the ideas that Cache uses, but you don't see that.

Please, Cache Advocates, don't be angry with my comments. These are real experiences from someone who worked closely with the developers at each of these locations.