Re: How to start ? client & database.

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 22:26:58 GMT

Arun Goel wrote:

> Ok. Probably I asked wrong question. I want to how to 'run' client
> program (I installed from Oracle 9.2.0 distribution).

Well .....

What kind of client program do you have that you want to run? Better yet, What are you trying to do?

If your objective is to learn Oracle as a developer or DBA, then look at http://otn.oracle.com/obe for some step by step tutorials (with screen shots).

If your objective is to do 'Microsoft Access programming in Oracle', then brace yourself - it's a whole new world and, even for brilliant people, it ain't gonna be pretty.

You should do a bit of reading as well - start with an easy to read book like 'Oracle Essentials' from http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/oressentials3/

I DID mention that you should look at the 'install on Red Hat' document at http://www.dizwell.com ... you apparently did not do that. Howard's document is more on the order of a kick-start tutorial than an install manual. Mandatory!

But to answer your question - Oracle provides some client software, one of the simplest being SQLPLUS. Check out http://docs.oracle.com and drill into the version you've installed to get the SQLPlus User Guide and Reference manual.

/Hans Received on Wed May 19 2004 - 00:26:58 CEST

Original text of this message