Re: How to start ? client & database.

From: GQ <dbaguy_ott_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 18 May 2004 15:05:06 -0700

goel_ar_at_yahoo.com (Arun Goel) wrote in message news:<7eab8834.0405180616.6270c76b_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net> wrote in message news:<hOaqc.11435$RM.3408_at_edtnps89>...
> > Arun Goel wrote:
> >
> > > I have installed Oracle client & Oracle database(9.2.0.4) on Red Hat
> > > 9.0.
> > > It seems to me everything went fine in installation as I followed
> > > notes from http://www.puschitz.com/InstallingOracle9i.shtml.
> > >
> > > But now I don't see any instructions somewhere which can explain me
> > > how to start my client?
> > >
> > > And how to start my database?
> > >
> > > Any help will be apreciated.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > Arun
> >
> > Client doesn't get 'started'. Client is a program that, when run, will
> > communicate with Oracle Networking (aka Net8, SQL*Net).
> >
> > Typical clients are SQL*Plus, Enterprise Manager, Java/C/C++/.net programs
> >
> > Suggest you browse around http://otn.oracle.com/obe for some tutorial
> > material and around http://docs.oracle.com for the Oracle Concepts manual
> > to help get this cleared up.
> >
> > Another fine resource is the Red Hat install guide that Howard put up at
> > http://www.dizwell.com
> >
> > /Hans
>
> Ok. Probably I asked wrong question. I want to how to 'run' client
> program (I installed from Oracle 9.2.0 distribution).

First - The environment variables you had to set to install the software, should also be set to use a client application (simpler this way). You can set these in the .profile or by a shell script;

ORACLE_BASE= <something like /u01/app/oracle>
ORACLE_HOME= <something like /u01/app/oracle/product/9i2>
TNS_ADMIN=   <something like /u01/app/oracle/product/9i2/network/admin>
ORACLE_SID=  <something like MYDB1>

and the user path should include ORACLE_HOME/bin

If the database is on the same box, setting ORACLE_SID could be sufficient, if you do not specify it in the connect string. To cover all bases, you should however add an entry in the tnsnames.ora file for your database.

Try 'tnsping sid' where sid is the database name, to confirm that your tnsnames.ora file is properly configured (if you need it).

Second - If your path is properly set, you should be able to do the following... Note that before using the client, the database must be up. You can do this manually (once all the environment variables are set) by ... sqlplus /nolog
connect internal
startup

I hope this help. Received on Wed May 19 2004 - 00:05:06 CEST

Original text of this message