Re: Creating a database is slow on Windows XP

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-downwithspammersfamily_at_attbi.net>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 02:27:04 GMT

> Thanks for all replies.
>
> > Dim St Thomas wrote:
> >
> > > I am a developer working on a database client program. I am testing
this

> > I have a strong suspicion that you might be creating databases where you
> > really should be creating schemas.
>
> I think you are right. That's what happens when you are brought up on
> MS Access. I have looked in the online doc which gives the following
> definition of a schema:
>
> A named collection of objects, such as tables, views, clusters,
> procedures, and packages, associated with one or more particular
> users.
>
> But this seems to be an arbitary collection rather than a "real"
> database object. In the example schemas, a schema is equivalent to a
> user. Is this an acceptable model, i.e. create a new user account for
> each schema?
>
> > With all due respect the way you phrase your question implies you do not
> > understand enough of the Oracle internals to program efficiently toward
the
> > way Oracle implements the database constructs.
>
> Yes, I wouldn't claim to be anything other than an Oracle novice.
> Thanks for your help (and respect - an unusual thing on usenet!).

Yes, use schemas. You create one database and have many schemas in it. (at least one, but you can have many) Then create a user who is going to own all the objects. Other users can access those objects by referring to them as owner.object_name. So if the owner is finance and the table is invoices users would refer to the invoices table as select ... from finance.invoices where....

Hope that is clearer and causes you to spin your wheels less. Jim Received on Fri May 14 2004 - 04:27:04 CEST

Original text of this message