Creating a database is slow on Windows XP

From: Dim St Thomas <dimstthomas_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 12 May 2004 20:11:23 -0700

I am a developer working on a database client program. I am testing this program on a Windows XP machine (1.5 GHz AMD chip, 480 Mb RAM, 60 Gb disk) This machine has Oracle 9.2.0.1.0 and RedBrick database software installed. I am testing the software by creating small test databases. If I create an Oracle database using the Database Configuration Assistant, it takes forever just to create the database. If I choose to create a new database and deselect all the options (Example Schemas, Data Mining, OLAP, JVM, Intermedia etc) it still takes 10 minutes to create the database. With RedBrick I can create a database in less than 10 seconds. Once the database has been created, loading and accessing the data takes about the same time with Oracle and RedBrick.

So here are my questions:
1. Why does Oracle take so long just to create an empty database/ what is it doing during database creation? 2. Oracle includes tuning tools, but I think these are only for use on existing databases. Is there any Oracle settings I can change to speed up database creation?
3. If I installed more memory on my machine would it significantly speed up database creation?

Thanks Received on Thu May 13 2004 - 05:11:23 CEST

Original text of this message