Re: Creating a database is slow on Windows XP

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-downwithspammersfamily_at_attbi.net>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 03:27:23 GMT

"Dim St Thomas" <dimstthomas_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1e94d380.0405121911.39f5111f_at_posting.google.com...
> I am a developer working on a database client program. I am testing this
> program on a Windows XP machine (1.5 GHz AMD chip, 480 Mb RAM, 60 Gb disk)
> This machine has Oracle 9.2.0.1.0 and RedBrick database software
installed.
> I am testing the software by creating small test databases.
> If I create an Oracle database using the Database Configuration Assistant,
> it takes forever just to create the database. If I choose to create a
> new database and deselect all the options (Example Schemas, Data Mining,
> OLAP, JVM, Intermedia etc) it still takes 10 minutes to create the
> database. With RedBrick I can create a database in less than 10 seconds.
> Once the database has been created, loading and accessing the data
> takes about the same time with Oracle and RedBrick.
>
> So here are my questions:
> 1. Why does Oracle take so long just to create an empty database/
> what is it doing during database creation?
> 2. Oracle includes tuning tools, but I think these are only for use
> on existing databases. Is there any Oracle settings I can change to
> speed up database creation?
> 3. If I installed more memory on my machine would it significantly
> speed up database creation?
>
> Thanks

Why are you creating databases again and again? I don't know anything about Redbrick, but in Oracle you are creating a lot of structures etc. Usually, one creates one database and then creates multiple schemas.(which don't take long at all, seconds, tops)
Jim Received on Thu May 13 2004 - 05:27:23 CEST

Original text of this message