ORA-12224 TNS:no listener

From: Ellen K. <72322.enno.esspeeayem.1016_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 01:08:44 -0700

Hi all,

I'm a developer. While at my current job I've been working with mostly SQL Server, now I need to connect to our Oracle Financials running on HP-UX. The Oracle DBA set me up as a user and installed the Oracle client on my box and I have the tnsnames file, but I still can't establish a connection to the database from my development environment... I'm getting an error message "ORA-12224 TNS:no listener".

At a previous company I also had Visual Studio and was able to connect to the Oracle databases from it... I want to do the same thing here, plus I need to set the Oracle database up as a "linked server" with my SQL Servers so I can make distributed transactions. (No heart attacks please, I'm going to create a couple of tables on the Oracle side and the Oracle DBA will put triggers on them so that whenever I insert to them he grabs the data and feeds it to the canned processes in OF.)

The Oracle DBA gave me a little utility with a window where I can type freehand SQL and get results but not nicely, so I know the connection isn't impossible, but I need to be able to address the Oracle database programmatically. I thought the problem might be related to the fact that I don't see the unix box in Network, although I can ping it either by name or IP address... the Oracle guy said for me to see it in Network he'd have to install something I forget the name of.
(Something like NFS???) Someone suggested I put an entry in the hosts
file, which I did, to no avail... although I think it's in the wrong place, it's in WINNT\System32\Drivers\etc. The Oracle guy says he thinks the problem is that the MS OLE DB Provider for Oracle doesn't know to look in the tnsnames file, but I find that difficult to believe. He said maybe somewhere I need to enter a "path" to it...
(I vaguely remember something about setting paths back in the DOS
days...)

So anyway, can any of you tell me what to do?

Thanks very much in advance. :) Received on Wed May 12 2004 - 10:08:44 CEST

Original text of this message