Re: ORA-12224 TNS:no listener

From: Teresa Redmond <XKEAAGIPVIEZ_at_spammotel.co>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 14:51:04 GMT

On Wed, 12 May 2004 01:08:44 -0700, in comp.databases.oracle, Ellen K. <72322.enno.esspeeayem.1016_at_compuserve.com> scribbled:

>Hi all,
>
>I'm a developer. While at my current job I've been working with
>mostly SQL Server, now I need to connect to our Oracle Financials
>running on HP-UX. The Oracle DBA set me up as a user and installed
>the Oracle client on my box and I have the tnsnames file, but I still
>can't establish a connection to the database from my development
>environment... I'm getting an error message "ORA-12224 TNS:no
>listener".
>
>At a previous company I also had Visual Studio and was able to connect
>to the Oracle databases from it... I want to do the same thing here,
>plus I need to set the Oracle database up as a "linked server" with my
>SQL Servers so I can make distributed transactions. (No heart
>attacks please, I'm going to create a couple of tables on the Oracle
>side and the Oracle DBA will put triggers on them so that whenever I
>insert to them he grabs the data and feeds it to the canned processes
>in OF.)
>
>The Oracle DBA gave me a little utility with a window where I can type
>freehand SQL and get results but not nicely, so I know the connection
>isn't impossible, but I need to be able to address the Oracle database
>programmatically. I thought the problem might be related to the fact
>that I don't see the unix box in Network, although I can ping it
>either by name or IP address... the Oracle guy said for me to see it
>in Network he'd have to install something I forget the name of.
>(Something like NFS???) Someone suggested I put an entry in the hosts
>file, which I did, to no avail... although I think it's in the wrong
>place, it's in WINNT\System32\Drivers\etc. The Oracle guy says he
>thinks the problem is that the MS OLE DB Provider for Oracle doesn't
>know to look in the tnsnames file, but I find that difficult to
>believe. He said maybe somewhere I need to enter a "path" to it...
>(I vaguely remember something about setting paths back in the DOS
>days...)
>
>So anyway, can any of you tell me what to do?
>
>Thanks very much in advance. :)

When connecting to Oracle in Visual Studio, I have to set up a DSN in Admin Tools | ODBC Data Sources. That may be what you mean in your last paragraph, that you have set it up there. What language are you using "programmatically"?

--
Teresa Redmond
Programmer/Analyst III