Re: Do I need to create a field type LONG?

From: Galina <galkas_at_mail.ru>
Date: 4 May 2004 05:57:00 -0700

Thank you both for answering. I have already re-created the table with the field type Varchar2 length 1000.
Simply for curiosity, when I copy a string shorter then 1000 into this field, will Oracle use memory necessary to store the string, or to store 1000 characters long string? Sorry for silly question, I understand that I could have found it somewhere... Galina