Re: Certification on 9i .

From: Lucas <lucas_lukasiak_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 4 May 2004 18:31:50 -0700

"Oba" <obacious_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<c6adi2$hq6$1_at_sparta.btinternet.com>...
> I am currently hitting my head on the wall to get certified on 9i, but we
> now have 10g, so do I hold off or continue my work? Please advice thanks.

I am currently studying for Oracle9i OCP (passed first 2 exams, have the 3rd's book in front of me but I am slacking off doing this). Go for you Oracle9i and keep on track. Make a plan and study to it. It helps to purchase your next Exam, book it with prometric, and mark it on the calendar.

Yes, the value of Certification is certainly contraversial. It certainly does not mean that you are a serious DBA and are hireable, but it does mean something. In the least, it means that you had some commitment to studying Oracle and that you gained some level of book understanding of the fundamentals. It is another item to add to the resume and it does give you a goal for learning Oracle better. Experience is superior, but OCP can only help.

For me, these are the reasons I am studying for OCP Certification (In Order):
1. Personal Accomplishment -- and Certificate on the Office Cube 2. Learn more Oracle -- Gain some degree of better understanding of Oracle Database Technology
3. Professional Accomplishment -- to show to my Director and provide some tangible item of professional growth (maybe he will feel more confident and be just a bit more likely to put me in like for an increase/promotion)
4. Resume Item -- every little bit helps 5. Make Larry Ellison proud (just kidding)

I am thinking about going for my OCM afterwards. Now that looks tough. 2 days of hand-on lab testing. Only offered in Chicago. There are only about 100 in the world (vs like 150,000+ for OCP).

Lucas

Lucas C. Lukasiak
http://www.ctoug.org/ Received on Wed May 05 2004 - 03:31:50 CEST

Original text of this message