Re: OpenWithServiceComponents 5 times slower for Oracle than for SQL Server?

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-downwithspammersfamily_at_attbi.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 03:00:53 GMT

"Florin" <fmicle_at_yahoo.de> wrote in message news:e54ea115.0404271844.73035739_at_posting.google.com...
> Hi,
>
> I am experiencing some problems accessing an Oracle database through
> OLE DB from an MTS application using OpenWithServiceComponents (which
> is supposed to give me connection pooling).
> When I connect to a SQL Server database it only takes 3.1 ms to open a
> connection, while with Oracle it takes 15.5 ms (both DB's running on
> the same machine).
> Am I doing something wrong, am I missing something here?
> I have tried to use the plain Open method, but in this case it takes
> 5.4 ms with SQL Server and 31.4 ms with Oracle.
> Is Oracle really that much slower when accessing it through OLE DB?
>
> Thanks for any advice/hints!
> Florin
What about subsequent times? Is the machine (server) swapping? MS SqlServer is known to take all the ram on the machine and that could do it. (try shuting down the instance and see if it makes a difference). It is hard to say since you are going through a lot of non-native stuff. So who knows what it is doing.
Jim Received on Wed Apr 28 2004 - 05:00:53 CEST

Original text of this message