Re: What's your compensation for carrying a pager???

From: Stanley Sinclair <stanleysinclair_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: 20 Apr 2004 15:41:07 -0700

This thread overwhelms me. People seem to be asking the wrong question.

The question is, "Are you a professional or not?"

If yes, then you are renting your professional knowledge/skills. You are not renting your time. If you are an MBA renting your skills as a trash evacuator, you are paid by the hour; if you are renting your skills as a people-manager, then you are paid to execute the tasks of your position. The former gets overtime, the latter does not, even if it takes 24/7 to do the job.

Perhaps job descriptions are not clear enough. Recent definitions re labor standards stratify the workforce by salary: Under $23,500, madatory overtime; over $65,000; no overtime unless contracted otherwise; between, depends on the contract.

I won't bore anyone with my personal reasons. I am a physician (MD in practice), an MBA (consultant in practice), and an active database programmer. For details about why I feel as I do, write me privately.  (In 35 years of medical practice, I have never received a cent for being on call 24/7/365. On the toilet, during sex, at my parent's funeral, nor any other time.)

Stan