Re: What's your compensation for carrying a pager???

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-downwithspammersfamily_at_attbi.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 01:58:24 GMT

> > My employer currently pays me $1/hour when I carry a pager. I have to
> > carry the pager every fourth week. The problem is that my employer
> > insists that I be available when I'm carrying the pager. So, for $1/hr
> > they expect me to remain within pager range, remain sober, and be
> > available to come to work. That really sucks on weekends. No going
> > to the beach (out of pager range) or out to a friend's cottage (out of
pager
> > range), etc. Declining to carry the pager is NOT an option.
> >
> > I'm curious what compensation others get and more importantly, what's
> > your employers expectation of your availability when you're on-call?
> >
> > Thanks.

Stan,
We can agree to disagree. It is unreasonable to be on call 7/24/365. For people to function effectively they do need some "time off" ; if for no other reason than to recharge the psychic batteries. Sure, if one is a sales person on pure commission then I suppose that there is no reason for getting paid for working 7/24/365. But some employers will abuse the situation and by if nothing else it helps to recognize the beyond regular hours effort. Sure if someone calls me after hours to ask a question I do my best to help and don't expect additional compensation. But if all of a sudden it became a regular thing and consistently required more work then one must set boundaries. (where I work no system that I work on is medically necessary - no one is hurt or injured if someone has to wait a little bit.) In short, my employer hired me for about a 40 hour work week and not an 80+ hour work week consistently. If they want the 80+ then it has to be spelled out in the employment agreement at hire not "slipped in"; then I can decide if I want to take the job or not.

Also if the additional compensation is tied to whether I do something or not - a two tier system - then it behooves management to make sure systems are properly maintained so they are not paying higher after hours maintained due to lack of regular scheduled main. (which may occur after hours and would not be compensated for)

Jim Received on Wed Apr 21 2004 - 03:58:24 CEST

Original text of this message