Re: What's your compensation for carrying a pager???

From: Marko Poutiainen <mep_at_paju.oulu.fi>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 07:45:45 +0000 (UTC)

In comp.databases.ms-sqlserver Richard <pager_boy_at_spamex.com> wrote:

> I'm curious what compensation others get and more importantly, what's
> your employers expectation of your availability when you're on-call?

I get about 85 euros per week (I'm on-call every other week) plus if there is a customer-related problem¹, I get 85 euros. Also, whether it's our system or the customer's that's acting up, I get compensatory time off. For every call between 10pm and 8 am or during the weekend, it's two hours minimum (even if solving the problem only takes five minutes), between 4pm and 10pm it's 1 hour.

We use cellphones, both voice calls and SMS messaging for the alerts. I have only gotten one voice call so far, but numerous SMS messages. The SMS messages are generated by our watchdog programs that monitor the network and the servers. Generally it's enough I fix the problem within an hour. I can do this from home, and we also have a laptop with a GSM card which can also be used (so I don't have to stay home either).

¹ This could be something like customer's network being down or if they call me uneccesarily.

--
Marko Poutiainen		    |	These are my principles.
mep_at_paju.oulu.fi		    |	If you don't like them, I have others.