Re: datablock sizing

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 5 Mar 2004 06:47:16 -0800

vissuyk_at_yahoo.com (Vissu) wrote in message news:<2bedd6a7.0403041956.3935854e_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hi All,
>
> Thank you for your feedback on # of tablespaces. Can anyone share some
> experiences on sizing the data block ?.
>
> Assuming that the biggest row I would have takes up about 2K, what
> should be the size of data block? I am debating between 8K and 16K. Is
> there a rule of thumb as to how many rows should fit in a data block?.
>
> Thanks a lot in advance,
>
> Vissu

What kind of application does the database have to support: OLTP, DSS, OLAP, etc ...?

The answer depends of what type of processing is most common, most critical etc.... I am in favor of using multiple block sizes in one database. To do so means you must manage multiple buffer pools and you can easily end up with the condition that during specific processing periods you need the memory dedicated to 4K blocks in the 16K block pool but the 16K block pool is under utilized 85% of the time so the space would be better allocated to the 8K pool.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Fri Mar 05 2004 - 15:47:16 CET

Original text of this message