Re: Creating a DTS package programaticaly

From: Ross McKay <rosko_at_zeta.NOT.THIS.BIT.org.au>
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2004 23:30:39 GMT

On 1 Jan 2004 03:04:13 -0800, Pattnayak wrote:

>I want to create a DTS package programatically (preferably in
>C#.net),which will copy all my tables from a oracle database to my
>sql-server database.
>Can anybody help me doing this???

G'day Patnayak,

If you do decide to use DTS for your table copies, then you'd be better asking in this newsgroup:

        microsoft.public.sqlserver.dts

Also, you should check out this website:

        http://www.sqldts.com/

As for building a package programmatically, DTS will happily give you some sample code. Just build a package graphically in the designer, Save As and set Location to Visual Basic File. Then start reading the code. It isn't the best code (i.e. you can rewrite it a lot better, it is simplistic auto-generated code) but it will give you an understanding of how it all works. You will also need to read the sections in BOL (Books On-Line) or MSDN that cover the DTS object model. Check out the website above to find out how to do it in C#.

Having gotten that out of the way, why do you want to use DTS to do this? As other respondents have mentioned, there are other ways that might be more suitable.

cheers,
Ross.

--
Ross McKay, WebAware Pty Ltd
"The lawn could stand another mowing; funny, I don't even care"