Re: Strategy and simple Listener Problem Xplained once more..

From: Ana C. Dent <anacedent_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2003 16:09:16 -0800

Cherrish Vaidiyan wrote:
> sir,
>
> I have a small error in Listener configuration.I have two system with
> a database in each. I am using Red Hat 9 and Oracle 9i. so i shall
> anme the database and system.
> system 1 - node2 system 2 - node3
> database - apple database - intel
>
> i have installed Oracle on 'node3' by copying the files and then
> creating a new database in it. Now i want to configure listener. I
> want to have the control of 'intel' database on 'node2' and 'apple'
> database on 'node3'.
>
> Since each oracle user have database, a basic listener for local
> database is already configured. Now my query is about some
> clarifications abt Listener Configuration.
>
> 1) I took netmgr on 'node2' and added 'intel' in the service name then
> onto the same basic listener.i have given default 1521 as port for
> both databse but differrent hostname. now when i give
>
> [oracle_at_node2 oracle]$ lsnrctl start Listener
>
> 'apple' database is started while i get the following error for intel.
>
> TNS-12560 TNS : Protocol adapter error
> TNS-00530 TNS : Protocol adapter error
> Linux - 113 - No route to host
>
> Wats the problem?? Did i do anything wrong ? I even tried the whole
> procedure vice versa on 'node3'. At that time 'apple' database got the
> above error. pls a guidance needed..
>
> 2) Now i changed my strategy after getting the above errors. i thought
> of giving each database a listener. so 'node2' and 'node3' have 2
> listeners - 1 for local database and 1 for the other. In this case i
> had to give different ports for each Listener. I was successfully able
> to start the local database listener but unfortunately i am getting
> above error w.r.t other system's database.
> Can u help me wat is the cause of error ?
>
> 3) if u couldnt get my problems, can u guide me in configuring
> Listener so that i can access both database from either system..?
>
> pls reply me URGENTLY.... Thanx in advance
>
> regards,
> Cherrish Vaidiyan

Hopefully I can shed some light on this situation for you. I support around 4 dozen Oracle DB spread across a decent number of Solaris systems; where each system has one or more DBs.

I run a single listener on each system which handles connection requests for the DBs which are local to that system. By doing this ANY client, which also includes "remote" DBs, can access any DB in the network.

While it is possible to run a listener on Node A to handle connection requests for a database on Node B, I refuse to do this. My problem with this type of configuration is that troubleshooting is slightly more difficult & you now have two separate points of possible failure. You only need a single listener for any DB.

Keep in mind that a listener is NOT required to run and access the database; assuming that you are logged directly onto the database server itself. The listener only is required when you want to access the DB from a remote (non-local) system. Also the listener only INITIATES the connection and then is no longer involved. In other words once a connection to the remote database has been made, you can shutdown the listener and the remote session will continue to function. Received on Sat Dec 27 2003 - 01:09:16 CET

Original text of this message