Re: its a basic SQL command but require help ?

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-downwithspammersfamily_at_attbi.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 11:33:10 GMT

"Cherrish Vaidiyan" <unbreakablematrix_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:f037d974.0312122226.251016d3_at_posting.google.com...
> hello googles,
>
> I have a small sqlplus problem. i have created a table with date field
> along with other varchar2,number etc. But unfortunately i made a
> mistake in entering the date. for some date records i made an error in
> month... say for 20 record.Now i need to correct the month.HOW????
>
> i have tried with 'update' statement using like,=,... etc.All resulted
> in failure.i thought of converting date datatype to character and then
> use the 'update'.But its not working.What shall i do now ? should i
> correct each and every record . Is this a drawback of Oracle????
>
> regards,
> Cherrish Vaidiyan
Keep it a date. use an update statement update myTable set myfield=to_date('12/25/2003','mm/dd/yyyy') where myfield=to_date('11/25/2003','mm/dd/yyyy'); ...

for 20 yrows
commit;

This is assuming that you don't want the time componet of a date. Have you looked in the manual? There are other ways of doing it, but you have not given enough information to suggest them. That is there an easy way to distinguish these rtecords from other records and thus write 1 update statment instead of 20. You have another pst asking what Crystal Reports is (it is a report writer), but the question is so basic that I shudder to think what you could be doing connecting to a database.

Jim Received on Sat Dec 13 2003 - 12:33:10 CET

Original text of this message