Re: Oracle 9i personal on Windows ME

From: <sybrandb_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 12 Dec 2003 00:59:53 -0800

Frank <fbortel_at_nescape.net> wrote in message news:<brak2p$14r$1_at_news1.tilbu1.nb.home.nl>...
> David Carmichael wrote:
>
> > I have downloaded and installed Oracle 9i on my Windows ME pc. The database
> > starts up fine and I can get in to the database using Sqlplus. I also can
> > access the database using Toad. I do have a few problems though. The
> > database configuration assistant and the net configuration won't run. I
> > click on them in Start/Programs/Oracle - OraHome90/Configuration and
> > Migration Tools and nothing seems to happen. Also I can't get the installer
> > to install OEM. Has anyone gotten any of these to work on Windows ME?
> >
> > P.S.
> > Please don't flame with messages about Oracle not supporting Windows ME and
> > telling me I should upgrade to XP. I am not about to give Bill Gates $200 so
> > my printer and scanner will no longer work.
> >

> - What version 9i?
> - Whaddayamean Won't run? Some info like 'I checked the task manager'
> 'I waited for 5 minutes' would be helpful
> - Do you have the ME certified version? ;-)

Frank, please don't sell him nonsense. You *know* there is no such thing like a certified version for ME.
To the OP: I don't know why you consider hearing the plain truth as flaming. If you want to act like an oystrich and put your head in the sand, go ahead. But DON'T accuse anyone of flaming. If you want to run Oracle on an uncertified platform, it's up to you. But don't expect anyone here to help you out.

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA Received on Fri Dec 12 2003 - 09:59:53 CET

Original text of this message