Re: Install problems !!!!!

From: Guido Konsolke <GK_at_oblivion.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 10:21:05 +0100

"Oldgrad" wrote...
> HI all
> Apologies for the cross post, there appears to be 2 groups
>
> I have just recieved a pile of discs from my uni lecturer for Oracle
 9i
> and the developer suite, he told me that this was free to use for
 single
> users and developers, (only costs when releasing apps), however when
> try to install the database universal installer is wanting a code (i
> thought this was free) it asks to register i had already registered
 prior.

> when i click on the link provided from installer i get taken to a
 survey
> window asking questions about a book name etc (never purchased a
> book.)when all is finished the web site gives a message that a key
 will
> be emailed to the address supplied (i never gave one) only at
> registration prior.
>
> Subsequently nothing has happened no email has arrived ( how can it
> never gave them one no facility provided)
>
> So now i am really confused, i had no problem installing developer
> suite. so if some one could help out with this problem i would be
 very
> grateful.
>
> have searched high and lo on the oracle web site but there is
 nothing on
> actual registration
>
> OS win xp pro
> Athlon 1.2 ghtz
> Ram 512 mb
> HD 80 gb
> 2 HD 40 Gb
>
> any help appreciated

Hello,

I never heard about that. Ask your professor about what he handed out. This definitely doesn't sound like a normal Oracle 9i database software. A co-worker downloaded and installed the monster 2 weeks ago and wasn't asked a thing (well, not about registration...).

And I hate the fact that this ignorant guy (GUI aficionado) was able to get it up and running without reading at least the installation guide.
All he knows is how to point and click. I'm frustrated. He even managed to imp (WinNT) an export file (AIX) from our development 8i. What next? Oracle a install option in Windows Longhorn? Eeks! I think it's time for a Laphroaig now.

hth,
Guido Received on Wed Dec 10 2003 - 10:21:05 CET

Original text of this message