Re: Choosing DBMS and architecture for ecommerce website

From: Ed prochak <ed.prochak_at_magicinterface.com>
Date: 4 Nov 2003 11:02:17 -0800

webdigital_at_hotmail.com (Alex_Bxl) wrote in message news:<8b41421b.0311032004.674e2296_at_posting.google.com>...
> When I was talking about 2 DBs, it was not really prod & dev ...
> I'm planning to have a DEV DB anyway
>
> I was thinking of keeping web useful information in a hosted DB and
> some other more private info like billing and other stuff that doesnt
> need to be used on the web in another DB stored in-office. So 2 PROD
> DBs. Maybe it's silly, dunno, I'm not a DBA thats why i'm asking all
> these questions ;)

Sounds like you don't trust your hosting service to be secure? Or is the convenience of local data worth the cost of another license to you?

It is not a bad idea to keep some of the billing info off the web host. Rather than two DB's, the typical arrangement is two server machines, a web server and a DB server. That's for heavy loads, and maybe your needs won't be that great initially.

> It's not a copy of eBay but I gave this example so everyone could
> figure out quickly. It's the same kind of service but with 1 million
> items only.

Ed Prochak
Magic Interface, Ltd
440-498-3700

(minor plug: my company does web and application hosting, very secure. call me and I can let you know some of our current clients and more about our services.) Received on Tue Nov 04 2003 - 20:02:17 CET

Original text of this message