Choosing DBMS and architecture for ecommerce website

From: Alex_Bxl <webdigital_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 3 Nov 2003 07:08:07 -0800

Hi to all

I have to choose a DBMS and a database architecture for an Ebay like website about to be launched.

The company wants to use a web hosting service and not host the database on dedicated servers at the office.

The database will contain web-only information and lots of back end information that is not really needed to be stored on the web host.

I'm wondering how to design that part, should I store all information on the web host only ? miror that DB every evening on some local DB server to be able to use the data without eating up lots of bandwith ? separate the database in 2 parts ? how to sync and assure integrity then ? having a local DB will also mean the company will have to pay a licence for the DBMS ...

What DBMS should I pick considering that the database will have to hold at least 1 million products to sale (eBay like) and all the information that goes with it. I thought any DBMS weaker than SQL Server or Sybase or Oracle will not be enough. What do you think ?

Thanks a lot, hope I have made myself clear enough

P.S. I would really like to get lots of different points of view. I think I'll use Sybase after all, so I wonder if that'sa good choice and I still want to know your thoughts about the 2 or 1 DB design (separate Web & Billing information for example, or leave all the info in the hosted database, what techniques to use to keep the integrity and to have the latest information in-house)... Thanks a lot Received on Mon Nov 03 2003 - 16:08:07 CET

Original text of this message