Newbie could use some help on a simple(?) recursive query.

From: (wrong string) østad <paul.grostad_at_.student.uib.no>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 03:20:30 +0100

Hi.
I'm very new to Oracle (and databases in general), and I have a problem that most of you people probably will find very easy, but I just can't figure it out...
I'm trying to create a "recursive" query(?) in Oracle that finds all PublisherPersons outranking my PublisherPerson in a direct line from his immediate supervisor and all the way up to the CEO.
(Given that all persons except the CEO have a supervisor of sorts)

CREATE TABLE PublisherPerson
(

   ppersonID VARCHAR2(5) NOT NULL, <-----

   ppersonname VARCHAR2(30) NOT NULL,      |
   publisherID VARCHAR2(5) NOT NULL,       |
   deptID VARCHAR2(5),                     |
   supervisorID VARCHAR2(5), ---------------
   PRIMARY KEY (ppersonID),
   FOREIGN KEY (publisherID) REFERENCES Publisher,
   FOREIGN KEY (deptID) REFERENCES Dept

);

I really have no clue as to how I can achieve this, and I'd really appreciate any help you can give me!

Paul Received on Mon Nov 03 2003 - 03:20:30 CET

Original text of this message