Re: How to do Media Recovery for System01.dbf????

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 16 Oct 2003 07:35:51 -0700

spraveen2001_at_yahoo.com (Praveen) wrote in message news:<98d8ec76.0310152346.2e3e01ab_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hi All,
>
> I'm using Oracle 8.1.7 on Win2k Prof. Today morning because of power
> problem, my system has restarted 8 times. When the power became stable
> and switch on my system, the oracle says 'Oracle initialization or
> shutdown in progress'. Then i tried by connecting....
> sqlplus /nolog
> connect sys/<pwd>_at_<sid> as sysdba
>
> and i said.. startup pfile=d:\....\init.ora
> The database instance started and mounted also.But after that it is
> showing this error...
>
> ORACLE instance started.
>
> Total System Global Area 302086172 bytes
> Fixed Size 75804 bytes
> Variable Size 107839488 bytes
> Database Buffers 194093056 bytes
> Redo Buffers 77824 bytes
> Database mounted.
> ORA-01589: must use RESETLOGS or NORESETLOGS option for database open
>
> Then i did...
>
> SQL> alter database open resetlogs;
> alter database open resetlogs
> *
> ERROR at line 1:
> ORA-01113: file 1 needs media recovery
> ORA-01110: data file 1: 'D:\ORACLE\ORADATA\...\SYSTEM01.DBF'
>
> Can anybody please him me out, what i have to do?
>
> **This is just a development db. So, i did not kept db in archive
> Mode.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Praveen

Praveen, The meaning of the error message is very simple: your system tablespace datafile is not up to date and requires recovery. Since your system is in noarchive log mode you need to overlay all database data files with their backup copies and then open the database using reset logs. An alternate solution would be to rebuild your db from a full export file.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Thu Oct 16 2003 - 16:35:51 CEST

Original text of this message