Re: Who spawns a dedicated server process?

From: Ed prochak <ed.prochak_at_magicinterface.com>
Date: 25 Sep 2003 05:57:20 -0700

"Michael J. Moore" <NOhicamelSPAM_at_comcast.net> wrote in message news:<UNrcb.425915$Oz4.221120_at_rwcrnsc54>...
> Is it the listener process, or some other Oracle process. Also, on a UNIX
> system, when you do "ps -ef" to see your processes, the PPID points back to
> a process named "init". Why does the PPID not point to some other process
> like, for example, the listener, or PMON, or whoever spawned it.
> thanks,
> Mike

The processes are spawned by the OS, repesented by the process called init. Talk to you UNIX admin about how this works.

Then my question back to you arises: why do you care?

 If you are the DBA, then you need to hit the manuals some more.  If you are not the DBA, you should not care.

 (I suspect ayou are not the DBA but you feel to need to control this process somehow. If you have some problem of performance or other, post that and suggestions will come. Looking at process IDs will get you nowhere in understanding the ORACLE operations and architecture.)

HTH,
  ed

--
Magic Interface, Ltd.