Re: Who spawns a dedicated server process?

From: Michael J. Moore <NOhicamelSPAM_at_comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 01:14:06 GMT

I have hit the manuals resulting in the very need to ask this question.

According to OCP 9i Database Fundamentals 1 Exam Guide:

On page 12 it says: "... the listener tells Oracle to generate a new dedicated server ..." yet on page 14 in the questions and answers section it says "The listener spawns a new server process."

So, which is it, "listener tell Oracle" or "listener spawns"? Or now you have given me a third option "The processes are spawned by the OS".

The reason I care is because I would like to be able to answer this question correctly if it occurs on an exam.

regards,

Mike

> > Is it the listener process, or some other Oracle process. Also, on a
 UNIX