Re: drop table from readonly TS

From: <sybrandb_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 1 Aug 2003 00:34:36 -0700

darshaks_at_coreobjects.com (Darshak Shah) wrote in message news:<92054707.0307310311.1138114d_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hi,
>
> * Question background :
>
> My DB is in ArchiveLog mode.
> I have TS in ReadOnly mode.
> As i know,
> - Oracle allows to DROP table resides in ReadOnly TS (& other objects
> also) even though that TS is in ReadOnly mode.
> - Oracle will not recover ReadOnly TS during Oracle startup.
>
> I have backup of db files "after" making TS readOnly but "before"
> dropping tables from ReadOnly TS.
> That means...
> 1st, made TS as ReadOnly
> 2nd, took backup of ReadOnly TS
> 3rd, dropped few tables from ReadOnly TS
> Assume now media failure occurred.
>
> * Question :
> After restore + recovery operation, those dropped table will be
> available or not ? WHY ?
> I am in doubt because
> 1) there is chance of having those tables BACK after restore +
> recovery operation because restored files are before dropping tables.
> 2) there is chance of NOT having those tables back after restore +
> recovery operation because Oracle doesn't perform recovery for
> ReadOnly TS.
>
> Which one is correct ???
>

> Thanks,
> Darshak

Information about tables is maintained in the datadictionary in the system tablespace. The affected tables have been deleted from the dictionary.
And NO you will not get them back EVER. Not recovering read only
tablespaces has NOTHING to do with it.

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA Received on Fri Aug 01 2003 - 09:34:36 CEST

Original text of this message