[newbie] Why does not my installer start?

From: ketil V. <ketil_v_at_c2i.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 14:49:03 GMT

I am trying to install Oracle 8.1.7-3 on a clean SuSE 8.2 - based system, but the Installer will not pop up any interface!

What I have done is the following:
- Installed 8.2, and upgraded with the latest patches using

   YaST2
- Installed Blackdown JRE, so there is a

   /usr/local/jdk118_v3 - directory with the correct Java
- Created a soft link from this directory to /usr/local/java

  • Installed orarin81.rpm, unpacked the 8.1.7 tar-file from Oracle to /install/
  • Created a oracle home with the info from /etc/skel/ as suggested in the SuSE paper 718_sles7_install.pdf
  • Logged in (KDE) as user oracle, started xterm and ran /install/Disk1/runInstaller

This not did the trick, so I started from scratch once more, WITHOUT updating the distro, in case SuSE have any updated RPMs with side effects.

When this did not solve the problem either, I tried to unset the variables LANG, LC_CTYPE, RC_TYPE and LC_COLLATE in the xterm I use to start the runInstaller script.

Now, the runInstaller script make the prompt free again, and a ps -a shows both runInstaller and jre running. The processor is working hard on something, so something have happened.

But the installer is still not visible...

Dows anybody have any suggestions about
what I might be missing ?

  • The computer got 320 MB RAM, so I dont think that should be the problem...