Re: DATABASE QUESTION

From: Newbie ^_^ <user_at_example.net>
Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2003 00:55:34 GMT

 From personal experience, I know MySQL [no, this is not a rant for the opensource] is more than adequate for any small to mid-size company needs. I personally know 3 businesses of 50, 100 and 500 approx. with MySQL as their RDMS due to financial reasons [support and learning curve costing only a fraction of the others] and to escape Access. To give you a quick idea of what it can handle, the largest of the above handles   transactions on various customer/service requests [customer info, order processing, lookups, and scheduling], inventory [current stock, utilization, expiration, incoming], and the employee records [daily/weekly in/out, status, pay rates, and personal info]. The smallest has moved it's record's to two machines relatively painlessly [the second time with a quick look at the documentation and a half hour, the first requiring two hours and some stumbling =].

Though more robust than MSSQL or Access [personal opinion], I wouldn't recommend it for "more-than-critical" or beyond `typical` mid-size business data needs [though you say around 300 that may be 300 government programmers for all I know] and would have to say Oracle or Sybase, with the latter for preference.

Just my two-cents
Newbie ^_^