Re: DATABASE QUESTION

From: Michael Gast <mig-sm_at_web.de>
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 11:31:08 +0200

Hi Puppy,

Pupppy Wizzard schrieb:
> Hi. We are setting up a new database. We previously used MS Access,
> but we want something better.
>
> What would be a good choice for a company with 300 employees from:
>
> MS SQL SERVER
> Oracle
> Sybase
> MySQL
> Paradox

That depends not only on the number of employees in your company but also in what you want to do.

Some questions:
* Do you have any ideas about the volume and structure of the   data you want to store in your database(s)?

* What is the transaction load?
* What is the transaction profile?
* What level of concurrency in accessing your data do you need?
* Any idea for the server operating system(s)?
* Any idea for the client operating system(s)?
* What applications do you want to use to access the db?
* What architecture do you want to realize? 2-tier? 3-tier?
* Do you need a redo log facility?
* What about data security, encryption, acces control?
* .......

--
All emails sent to this address are never read and never will be
answered. Sorry, but until someone cleans up the spam mess, that's the

E-Mails, die direkt an diese Adresse geschickt werden, lese und
beantworte ich nicht. Ich bedauere diesen Umstand sehr, kenne derzeit
aber keine bessere Möglichkeit, um die Spam-Flut abzustellen.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards
Michael Gast
SEPP MED GmbH