Re: Oracle 9i on Redhat 9: no go?

From: Frank <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Sun, 18 May 2003 20:04:55 +0200

Tim wrote:
> Gerald Henriksen wrote:

>>> Thanks, it seems to be working, at least so far. Can you give me a
>>> couple sentence explanation of what the problem was?
>>

>> Red Hat 9 uses glibc 2.3 with the new thread system (NPTL - native
>> posix thread library), which is supposed to improve performance.  The
>> new thread model breaks a small number of applications, particularly
>> those that make assumptions about glibc internals (note that this is
>> not the first time that a new version of glibc has broken Java).
>>
>> By setting that environment variable you tell the system to use an
>> older version of the glibc environment for anything you run.
>>
>> In addition to breaking Java NPTL also broke wine (since fixed) and
>> the Intel compilers.

> Thanks. Now, I'm getting these two errors.
>
> Error in invoking target install of makefile
> /u01/app/oracle/product/9.2.0.1.0/network/lib/ins_oemagent.mk
>
> I enter "Ignore" and it continues.
>
> Then I get.
>
> Error in invoking target install of makefile
> /u01/app/oracle/product/9.2.0.1.0/ctx/lib/ins_ctx.mk
>
> I enter "Ignore" again and it finishes.
>
> It then says Oracle Net Configuration Assistant - succeeded
> Oracle Database Configuration Assistant - failed
> Agent Configuration Assistant - canceled
> Starting HTTP Server - failed
>
> Any more help would be greatly appreciated.

vi /usr/oracle/920/ctx/lib/env_ctx.mk (!! that's env_ctx, not ins_ctx) /INSO_LINK
add $(LDLIBFLAG)dl, so the line reads:

INSO_LINK = -L$(CTXLIB) $(LDLIBFLAG)m $(LDLIBFLAG)dl $(LDLIBFLAG)sc_ca

$(LDLIBFLAG)sc_fa $(LDLIBFLAG)sc_ex $(LDLIBFLAG)sc_da $(LDLIBFLAG)sc_ut
$(LDLIBFLAG)sc_ch $(LDLIBFLAG)sc_fi $(LLIBCTXHX) $(LDLIBFLAG)c -Wl,-rpath,
$(CTXHOME)lib $(CORELIBS) $(COMPEOBJS)

DOn't know about oem_agent - you should be able to find that. I'm not fond of OEM anyway - if you feel the same, don't bother.

--
Regards, Frank van Bortel