Re: Oracle sucks!

From: Henry Lafleur <henryl_at_bengaldevelopment.com>
Date: 24 Apr 2003 16:03:25 -0700

Tim Ashman <tim_mapson_at_ashmans.net> wrote in message news:<vN0pa.294379$OV.337426_at_rwcrnsc54>...
> Bob Loblaw wrote:
>
> > Why does Oracle suck so much?

> But seriously why do you think it sucks?

Man, Oracle has some serious problems with their GUI tools. If you go to install the Oracle client from the GUI and hit the back button, it will create multiple homes in the registry. The pseudo-wizard is making changes as you hit Next, Next, but won't undo the changes when you hit Back. The Microsoft OLEDB Provider for Oracle won't work with multiple homes, so that screws you if you use that. If you use the Oracle OLEDB provider, it will cause IIS to crash randomly.

The global database name, instead of being stored in one location is stored in about 10 locations, so to change the domain name for a database you have to jump through hoops. Can you say normalization of data! Is this a database company or what?

Microsoft? How about right click, New Database--You've got a new database that will tune itself. Oracle? An act of Congress. I had a DBA send me a script to create a new Oracle database instance. I tried to run it, and it not only did not create an instance, it screwed up the other instance. Then you have to tune every table yourself. Who has the time for this kind of stuff? Even with PostgreSQL, you just type CREATE DATABASE (or something like that) and you're there. Not that I like Microsoft or anything, but they seem to be more sane that Oracle.

I could go on and on and on and on...

So what if Oracle is fast. I don't need it. SQL Server is fast also. Our customers demand Oracle because their DBAs have them by the nads--so we are forced to use it, and without a DBA.

Henry. Received on Fri Apr 25 2003 - 01:03:25 CEST

Original text of this message