Re: Documentation on Oracle8i Export/Import utility

From: Gabriel Gonzalez <no-spam_at_no-spam.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 12:45:02 -0800

technet.oracle.com for the docs.

As for the Do's and Dont's.. I don't think there is any, but I'll give you one: It's ok to use exp with the full=y option, but be very careful of the implications of using imp to import the full dump file as system objects (belonging to schemas sys and system) will be imported as well.

Here's another: Always use the buffer=x parameter to enhance performance.

And another: Always specify blocksize=x because the default values may vary between platforms and maybe versions...

And yet another: Always record a log (option log=x) and always review it to make sure thet everything you intended to expert indeed expoerted correctly and without errors.

Ok, one more: Pay close attention to the character set and avoid character set conversions that may occur inadvertently during exp/imp. Received on Mon Mar 10 2003 - 21:45:02 CET

Original text of this message